Tuesday, July 20, 2010

General ramblings

The thing about people who work in agency creative departments is that they could all do better on every single brief than those who actually worked on it. Truth is: some could, most couldn’t.

The other thing is that we’re very competitive. There’s nothing we like more than to see others produce bad work:

“Oh, they should’ve done this.”

“Nice idea, bad art direction.”

“First thought.”

I’ve seen rubbish work praised and great work slated, usually by the same people. Maybe it’s personal.

Something that gets trotted out, time after time, is that we have a pool of very talented people in Dubai. Well, no we don’t. We have a handful.

As an industry, we are under-performing.

Our good is quite good, rarely great. And our bad is as bad as it gets.

Are we just settling for mediocrity? Do we know the difference?

I include myself in the list of under-performers. I don’t have a pencil or a lion from the last year, and that’s not good enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment